Thursday, July 1, 2010

JBear's List of Music That'll Get You Whichever Sex You Prefer, Part 2

It's that time again, fans and fanettes! Or haters and hate-ettes. Time for the latest edition of Joey Likes These Albums and Hopes You At Least Don't Hate Them! The nostalgia-fest is nearly over. I'm getting my most expected albums out of the way early, so let's not keep you waiting.























Jimmy Eat World, formerly Bleed American before September 11, 2001, by Jimmy Eat World. Released the summer of 2001, I had been listening to the demos of this CD for a while, and then I got my hands on the actual studio version. By got my hands on, I really mean I borrowed Dave's copy of the CD for about a year. He has it back at any rate, so it's bygones.

The moment you press play on this one, you're in it. They lead with what was the title track, Bleed American. It's an unrelenting song, for J.E.W., and there's an urgency running through it. It peaks at the end of the bridge, right before they break into a solo, and they keep the energy going through the final chorus. Take note, friends, of the backing vocals, just off the main track. They're like an angry echo, challenging the main vocals to out-do them.

We don't get much of a between the first three songs, as each one jumps right into the next. I dig that they all use different sounds, too. Bleed American is full-on distorted guitars, bass, and drums. A Praise Chorus is all about some cymbals. It really picks up steam from the bridge onward, where they snag some lyrics from Crimson and Clover, in a smart move. They didn't have that part in the demo I originally listened to, but when added, it works. It fits the tone of the song, especially when the chorus is asking "...to hear a song I know." I dig that they actually went out and got a song they know.

The Middle kicks off with palm-muted guitars, and is really just a poppy, feel good song. Your House is the first break we get, and it's refreshing. It's slow, but there's still plenty of movement. And it starts a sequence of songs that reach out. From here, we get Sweetness, Hear You Me, and If You Don't Don't. I can't really explain that sentiment, either. You just need to listen to the songs in order. Maybe you'll feel the same thing I do. But probably not, since we're slightly different beings. I think it's most evident in If You Don't Don't, maybe because lead singer/guitarist Jim Adkins sounds like he's pleading here.

The latter part of the album is definitely a bit disjointed as far as tone goes. But I'm cool with it. As much as I like over-arching themes and cohesive ideas, they aren't always needed. You could even say Get It Faster reflects how the rest of the album will go. It starts like molasses down a slide, picks up, slows down, gets crazy with the solo, and then we get a new song. Cautioners is the missing link of the reaching outers. I would've put it after If You Don't Don't, and I would've ended the album on it, too.

The Authority Song feels a lot like The Middle, so I appreciate them being spread this far apart. I really like the female vocals throughout, and the simulated hand claps (snare) give it a retro-esque feel. I want to say '50s, but I'm not sure. Either way, it makes for an easy, painless song.

They end on My Sundown, which is a very calming experience. I think it'd be perfect as the secret track here, the bonus ending for the dedicated listener, with Cautioners as the lead. Either way, it's a pretty song. But it uses one of my least favorite effects: the note reverse-ifier. It reverses the notes sound, and that's the best way to explain it. Usually, it sucks. But when they use it here, I'm OK. No panic attacks, or hives, or the like.

So yeah, that wraps up The 'Sorry I Got Distracted and Wrote A Bad Review Of Jimmy Eat World' Album List 2010. I am sorry for the lack of quality here. I was distracted by Speed, and Mallrats. I won't be tomorrow night. That's for sure. Oh, and once again, no guesses means no winners. The hint for tomorrow: Things to do when you're really bored. Winner gets their choice of a 1995 Ford Bronco, two 30 lb. dumbbells, my used Fusion razor, the little Batman figure that guards my Mac, or a pair of size 11 Pirate black pirate boots.

7 comments:

  1. Take Off Your Parents And Jacket- Blink 182

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take the little batman figure...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, to Zac, our first winner!

    And now you know tomorrow night is blink-182's 2001 album, Take Off Your Pants and Jacket. For all the haters, chill out. It's the only blink album I'll be blogging about.

    Also, get off your high horse. You listened to them and loved them. Except Ben probably.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never loved Blink 182. Ever. And never willingly listened to them. Although we covered a song of theirs in AD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After which you said something like, "That was pretty fun." So I knew you were in love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not mean for that to sound insulting. All in good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No worries dude. I certainly wasn't insulted. In fact, I think the only insult was mine to the haters and their positions atop high horses. And I stand by said insult! Haters can suck it or skip this blog about blink.

    ReplyDelete